Planning an event? We want to inspire and enlighten the inner event planner in you! A blog dedicated to all things planning. We're always looking for any excuse to celebrate.

3.18.2010

Always double check, never rely on spell check

My partner and I have known each other our whole lives, well mine especially because I'm the younger sister. Going into business together also means we trust and respect each other's work. That being said, I just cracked up when she sent me her latest design for a bridal shower we are working on. Why? Because it had a grammatical error and my sister has been reading books just about her entire life. She's also my personal spell checker

No doubt I have already made a spelling mistake that I will get a cute text reminder to make sure I change it. You can just save my ego and change it directly, you know the password ;)

Making spelling, spacing, or grammatical errors is not only embarrassing at times but can also be a very expensive mistake. Can you imaging having to reprint invitations, programs, or anything that's been printed for that matter because you misspelled or punctuated something wrong?

Imaging my horror when I finished and submitted an ad and realized I spelled "Best Hold" instead of "Best Hole" for a charity golf tournament advertisement. Thankfully, I caught it quickly and was able to catch it before it went to print. Yes, I cursed at my computer for not alerting me with a squiggly red line but ultimately it was my responsibility. Also to my credit, I showed 2 different people and no one caught it. Then there's this pesky spacing error that I'm convinced is being done on purpose by our printer just to bother me.

Let's move on, shall we?

So, it's not about trust or about a lack of self confidence but even the NY Times has an editor. Everyone will see the fruits of your labor and you want to be proud of your work.

Also, don't think that no one will notice, oh they will notice. So, you also want to save yourself from hearing "It looks great but did you realize you ________ wrong?".


In my defense, it was very late at night, and a first draft ;) ~ Nubia

No comments:

Post a Comment